Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Shelby's Reflections on Ageist Behavior


I’ve learned that while I don’t subscribe to the mainstream infantile view of older people being “cute” or “adorable”, I do have a certain negative connotation towards them - as though being old is something to be avoided and resented. Advertising and general media sources seem to have impressed upon me the notion that getting older means getting crankier and steadily losing the ability to interact with the world around me. I also seem to have picked up the idea that I have nothing much to look forward to in my old age other than reminiscing about the glory days and a multitude of potential regrets. I now know that aging is nothing to be feared or prevented, but is in fact a doorway to new experiences that should be celebrated for its possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment