Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Katie's Reflections on Ageist Behavior

Our discussion on ageism was enlightening for me; I had not realized that ageism was a legitimate issue in society today. To be honest I hadn't ever thought about it too much. The discussion brought to light the reality of the issue: older people are looked down upon in society, and we are partially, if not entirely, to blame. Looking back on my own actions in regards to ageism, I realize that I often look at older people as their own separate group, much like young children, alienated from societal norms. I have witnessed many accounts of older being treated differently because of their age, and I am guilty of it as well. I have realized that I need to treat them as individuals, just as I would my friends or family, disregarding age.

No comments:

Post a Comment