Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Kiersten's Reflections on Ageist Behavior

I hadn’t realized ageism was so prevalent in our society. I suppose I had subconsciously realized it, but it had never been brought to the forefront of my thoughts. I myself have ageist attitudes that I hadn’t previously realized I possess. As far as my own body, I have occasionally worried about doing the “right things” skincare- and health-wise so that I will stay looking youthful when I am more advanced in years. Additionally, I have often admired my parents because they both look far younger than their physical ages. It is almost a point of pride that they look younger than many of their friends and coworkers who are younger than they are. I regarded looking "old" with very negative connotations. I do admire my elders for their wealth of wisdom, but that and depth of life-experience were about the only positive attitudes I had toward being “old.” Learning about ageism in class has helped me to realize that old people are not just this category of people that are retired and usually frail and either loving and sweet or crotchety and disgruntled. They are people who deserve equal treatment and shouldn’t be discriminated against or denied certain opportunities solely based upon their age. From now on, I will be more careful about how I interact with older persons and what I refer to them as.

No comments:

Post a Comment